My photo
Alexandria, Virginia, United States

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Run for Julia 5K

I'm obviously way behind in my posting as this race took place on April 24. It was my first race after a 7 week layoff due to both my shoulder surgery and a nagging case of bronchitis. I believe I ran 2 or 3 times before the race. Boy, did my lack of training show. But more on that in a moment.

The race was held on a Thursday evening starting in Bluemont Park. I have run on this path several times so I can't complain about any lack of course knowledge. The course is nearly flat and the weather was close to perfect. However, the course is in Arlington and I was driving there from Tysons Corner so I had to deal with quite a bit of traffic getting there. I arrived 2 minutes before the posted start time. I ran to the starting line to sign up only to find that registration was 1/4 mile away! Off I jogged, hoping I dudnt wear myself out just trying to sign up.

It was an expensive race...$30 for late registration but they fortunately had a "no shirt" option for $20. I got through registration quickly and jogged back to the starting line. I didn't need to rush as a friend of "Julia" was speaking about her life as a runner and as a Peace Corp volunteer. She was murdered while serving in the Peace Corp in the Phillipines. Apparently, she was the victim of a robbery gone bad. It sounded like she was a special person.

I've run nearly 350 races over the past few years. While I used to get nervous before the start of every race, for the last few years I haven't felt that nervousness except for races that were 10 miles or longer. Not today though. My stomach was jumping up and down as I knew I wasn't really ready to run a race.

I took off with the slower runners and kept pace with them for the first 3/4 of a mile or so. I had to stop for my first walk break just short of the 1 mile mark. I had a pretty bad stitch in my right side. I walked for 90 seconds and then started running again. Ooops....not yet said my body. I now also had a stitch on my left side. I was forced to walk probably about half of the rest of the race. I would run for about 2 minutes and then walk for 2 minutes. With about 1/2 mile left some spectators yelled out that I was first among the walkers. I had to tell them the truth that I had run some. Oops there went my props. As always, I ran pretty hard for the last quarter mile as I tried to catch S. Jean Stewart, a 65 year old woman that had passed me shortly before the half way point. I started my kick far too late though and she beat me by 14 seconds. My time was a pitiful 37:58. I came in 138th out of 171. At least I set a number that I should be able to beat next time out.

Other runners of note in this race included
Adam Wytko 16:43 (winner)
Diana Tong 21:48 (female winner)
Bill Stahr 20:08
Jim Scarborough 22:40
Bob Platt 22:59
Shirley Sameshima 25:01
Bob Gurtler 31:49 (so much for my winning streak over Bob!)

No comments: