My photo
Alexandria, Virginia, United States

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Return of the turtle

Hi everyone. After a break that seemed like forever, I'm back running again. My blood pressure is back under control and while it could be better, my blood sugar is also improving. I hope to get that entirely under control within the next month or so as I work on diet, as well as losing about 10 pounds as a result of running again.

Since my last blog, I have run 11 races! That has all been in less than 4 weeks. Due to the challenges I have had this year, I put myself in a hole as far as breaking 50 races run for the year (damn you Jim Moreland :) ). So, without proper training, I have run a bunch of races in a short period of time. I'm suffering from shin splints - a sure sign that I haven't put in enough base miles before increasing mileage associated with these races. But so be it. Today I ran the final Tidal Basin 3K of 2008 and it was my 49th race of the year. My times aren't very good but I haven't come in last in any of these races ( I hate coming in last and feeling like I'm holding everyone up).

Here are the races I have run during the past month...
  • PVTC Cranberry Crawl 5K 38:01
  • HCS Swansfield 1 Mile 9:46
  • Arlington Turkey Trot 5K 38:09
  • MCRRC Turkey Burn Off 5 Miler 62:21
  • HCS Longfellow 2 Mile 23:47
  • MCRRC Frozen Slopes 6K 60:57 (Brutal Hills!)
  • Fells Point Figgy Pudding 5K 35:23 (pleased given that much of it was on cobblestone)
  • Jingle all the way 10K 80:16 (saving myself for later)
  • DCRRC Bread Run 2 Mile 24:55
  • HCS Elkhorn 2 Mile 25:56 (3rd race of the day. Also had a show blowout)
  • DCRRC Tidal Basin 3K 20:32 (Thanks to Joe Broderick for pushing me along)

It looks like my next race will be the PVTC Christmas Caper 5K this Saturday. That will give me 50 for the year. I considered driving up to Baltimore fo the Celtic Solstice 5 Miler but I really don't need another fleece pullover. I may run Tami's race on Sunday but its doubtful as we have a party Saturday evening. I am signed up for the King Street Mile on New Years Eve but I don't have a prayer of completing it in under 8 minutes. I hope to do the first half mile in 4 minutes and then move over to the sidewalk.

That's all for now. I'll give my more detailed race recaps going forward.

No comments: