My photo
Alexandria, Virginia, United States

Friday, June 12, 2009

Honestly, I'm just going to move to Columbia

I ran in my 3rd straight race in Columbia on March 22. This was the 2 Mile race run from Longfellow. I must be honest...the race was so long ago I don't really remember it. However, from my Garmin data I can tell that I went out a little fast and struggled with the hills. No news there! It looks like I took 5 walk breaks....pretty scary for a mere 2 mile race. It just seems like I didn't push myself very hard until we got close to the finish. I took my first walk break after only 5 minutes and my heart rate was only 140. More striking is that I waited to start running until my heart rate dropped to 119. My preference is to slow to a walk when I get a heart rate of about 147 and return to running when it drops to about 132. So, in other words, I was a wimp this day.

I must have realized that I had been slacking late in the race as I then started to push myself. My heart rate maxed at 157 as I hit the finish line in 22:24. That was good enough for 38th place out of 47 runners. Surprisingly, that is also my best 2 mile time this year.

Notable finishers were Dave Berardi, the winner with a time of 11:37; Nina McFadden, who beat me by 11 seconds; and Julia Clearman, who I beat by 3 seconds (ah ha, now we now why I pushed myself at the end!).

No comments: