My photo
Alexandria, Virginia, United States

Thursday, February 28, 2008

I'm Back

No, I'm not quite dead. I just disappeared for awhile. seriously, I had no idea it had been so long since my last entry.

Here's where we stand as far as the running goals are concerned. Yesterday was the 58th day of the year and so far I have run about 76 1/2 miles. That's an average of about 1.32 miles per day...a far cry from my goal of 2 miles a day for the whole year. I am on pace for 50+ races for the year as I have completed 7 races so far and I have races planned for tomorrow and Friday.

I saw my orthopedics Dr. two weeks ago about the foot I broke back in October. It was still giving me trouble into February so I was concerned that it either wasn't healing correctly or perhaps there was more than just a break that resulted from my fall. After an examination he believes that I have the early stages of plantar fachitis. I am now wearing silicone heals in my shoes when I run to absorb some of the impact when I run. So far so good as I have run 4 straight days without pain. However, I took a lot of days off in January and February in attempt to let my foot heal so I have some ground to make up if I am to reach my initial goals.

On January 20th I ran the Tidal Basin 3K in 18:59, While significantly slower than where I believe I should be, it was my fastest 3K in several months. I am hopeful that I have turned the corner and that I'll start to see slow and steady improvement in my running going forwards. On a related note, I have also seen my weight drop about 8 pounds from it peak in mid January to about 202 pounds. Again, I have a long way to go here as well as I would like to get to about 185 pounds but it is a start. I have the DC Half Marathon in 4 weeks so I would like to be down to about 195 pounds when I run that. I think anything more than that will be very difficult to get around the course for 13.1 miles.

Finally, I am giving a great deal of thought to entering a sprint duathalon. There are several nearby that will be held in late April. I need to get on my bike and see if I have what it takes. More info on this to come later.

Until next time...

No comments: