My photo
Alexandria, Virginia, United States

Friday, August 8, 2008

City of Oz

The inaugural Crystal City Twilight 5K was held on July 27th. Given that I worked there for over 6 years and even lived there for 6 months, I couldn't pass this one up. Plus, my friend Femi planned on running it so I looked forward to a fun time.

Parking was a little tougher than I expected, partly because some roads were already closed off by the time I arrived to register. I parked near the original USAir HQ and walked about 1/3 of a mile to register. Wow, has Crystal City changed since I was last there. They have added a bunch of restaurants. When Dori and I lived there back in 98 we used to comment on how dead the city was on weekends. That certainly wasnt the case this evening as there were people everywhere! The lines for getting my chip and number were pretty long...and I had pre-registered. I went back to the car and worked on a sudoku while enjoying air conditioning. Yes, I know I sound like a broken record but it was another hot night!

I got back to the start about 7 minutes before the start. I saw Femi and we talked for a few minutes before we positioned ourselves at the front and rear of the field. There were a LOT of people here for this race. I later learned there were 1656 finishers! As a result, it was kind of a crazy start as everyone tried to find a lane they could run in without being blocked. I had to do some weaving at the start as I felt kind of frisky. I had only been running for a couple of minutes when I caught up with one Ric Franke, who I hadn't seen until then. I passed him but I grew worried when I had to stop for a walk break at the 1 mile mark. I ran the first mile in 10:01...thats too fast for me right now. Sure enough, I crashed and burned from that point on. I struglled with a side cramp through much of the 2nd mile. I think I just lost interest in the 3rd mile. I tried to make a go of it but my heart wasn't in it.

I finished with a time of 37:15...good enough for 1463rd out of the 1656. Well, thats not that bad. I beat Ric by about 1 minute (38:13) though he beat me to the food line:) Speaking of which, the after party was very good...The Noodle Co supplied mac and cheese and another pasta while the Budweiser truck was also there providing cold free beer in 16oz cups.

I looked for Femi but never saw him. When I spoke to him at work he said he looked for me for a couple of minutes and then went home to sulk since he was disappointed with his time. So...I ate alone. It was fine. I got to watch lots people dancing to a song that I some how missed. I don't know the name but it includes the line "Everybody clap your hands". Everyone but me knew it. The funniest thing was when 3 construction guys came walking by doing the dance that apparently goes with the song.

Notable finishers were:
Steve Crane 14:46 (winner...smokin' time)
Katie Read 17:14 (female winner...smokin' female time!)
Jim Moreland 20:33
Betty Blank 21:43 (won her age group)
Michael Femi Adeniji 22:48 (281 overall,33rd out of 141 in age group)
Bob Gurtler 31:18 (after a R/T to CA since our Wed Night race)
Joe Belkoski 35:41 (he waved as he passed me shortly after the 1 mile mark. This could be a new person that goes on my "he shall not beat me" list.)
Christina Caravoulias 36:36 ( a former she shall not beat me person)
Me 37:15 (133 out of 141 in age group)
Jennifer Seifert 64:29 (last person in)

No comments: