My photo
Alexandria, Virginia, United States

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Tidal Basin 3K reprised

The August 2008 edition of the Tidal Basin was held on a sunny, clear and warm August 20. I spoke to a few people before the race. Jim Moreland complimented on my time in the downhill mile. He had noticed I had beaten Tami. We also talked about the previous nights race. Peter Blank said hello and Joe Broderick and I talked about how it was coller than last month but how it was still awfully warm.

With the help of my new shoes and with my ankle wrapped, I felt pretty good for the first few hundred yards. That doesn't sound like much but I've been tired after this portion of the race the last few months. I did tire shortly afterwards but I really wanted to get to the other side of the bridge before taking a walk break. I did so and took my break right at the 5 minute mark. I passed the 1K mark shortly after starting to run again. I looked at my watch and was surprised to see I was under 10 minute/mile pace by several seconds. Off I ran for another 5 minutes, crossing the 2nd bridge and passing the 1 mile mark in just under 10 minutes. OK, I thought to myself, can I keep the wheels on?

For the most part I did keep the wheels on the bus. I only ran 4 minutes before taking another walk break but I was bale to get rolling again after that. I stopped looking at my watch at that point as I focused on reaching that finish line. I took 1 more brief walk break along Ohio Drive and then plodded/scurried to the finish. I was shocked to see the clock under 19 minutes as I approached. I was only hoping to break 21 minutes today. If I had been paying attention perhaps I could have broken 19 minutes. Instead I settled for a time of 19:03...my best in several months. Given my larger goal of returning to sub 31 minute 5K's, I know I need to get my 3K's under 18 minutes but this was certainly a step in the right direction. If not for being so sweaty back at work it would have been a perfect lunch hour.

No comments: