My photo
Alexandria, Virginia, United States

Monday, July 6, 2009

2nd one today

After a disasterous race earlier in the day, I was excited to run the DCRRC Hugh Jascourt 4 Miler that evening. Unfortunately, it was a hot evening and I just didn't have any energy for the race. I had hoped to keep up with Sharyn Gordon but she passed me after about 1 1/2 miles and I couldn't keep up with her. She finished more than 5 minutes in front of me so I clearly struggled over the 2nd half of the course. I did manage to beat a couple of guys in, including Walt Washburn, but it was certainly a disappointing race. I finished the 4 miles in 52:42, good for 67th place. I last ran the race on 2007 and had a time of 43:07 so I clearly fallen apart over the last 2 years. The heart monitor once again tells the story as I had to take 11 walk breaks during the race. Unlike some, I'm OK with walk breaks but I would like to see no more than 1 per mile. The walking lowered my average heart rate to 136, which isn't too bad. My max heart rate though only got to 148 so it appears as though I opted to walk pretty quickly when I started to feel tired.

No comments: