My photo
Alexandria, Virginia, United States

Monday, July 6, 2009

Presidential Fitness Runs

The new Tidal Basin Run group decided to hold a trio of races around the Tidal Basin on the morning of July 3rd. With virtually everyone off that day, we had the sidewalks largely to ourselves. The race provided the group with an opportunity to raise the money needed to pay dues to the RRCA and it also gave a few prolofic area runners to make a rare visit to the Tidal Basin.

Three different races were held...the Thomas Jefferson 3K, the John Quicy Adams 6K, and the John Tyler 10K. The races were tabbed as the Presidential Fitness Runs. We had 7 finishers in the first 2 races and 6 in the 10K. All of the races started at the same time and finished at the same finish line. Runners for the 3K and 10K started at the same start line but took off in opposite directions. (That was interesting). The 10kers ran about 300 yards before turning around and running in the same direction as the rest of us.

I opted to run the 3K. I thought about running the 6K to give myself a race at an "other" distance and to also stretch out my distance a little but I thought I should get in quickly and help Jay with timing and any other needs. Peter Lamberton ended up halping Jay with the timing so I wasn't really needed but I enjoyed being there to cheer on the other runner sas they made there way around the loop course.

The first 2 runners in the 3K took off quickly. Ric Franke got a few steps ahead of me at the start as I wrestled with my watches but then I passed him before hitting the sidewalk. I REALLY wanted to beat him today. I had failed in meeting most of my running goals recently and I really wanted to beat someone I thought I should beat.

The temperature was about 71 degrees and it was a clear, sunny day. It was a perfect day for almost everyone but a little warm for runners. That is my only explanation for a somewhat disappointing race. I ran for 6 1/2 minutes before feeling the need for a walk. My heart rate was 143 when I stopped for the walk. I know I can do better than this! More disturbing...I walked for nearly 2 minutes! In all, I took 5 walk breaks. Thats just not acceptable. The walks brought my average heart rate for the race down to 134 and my max heart race was only 145. As a result, I finished in 21:22...which was 4 seconds SLOWER than my disappointing TB 3K just 2 weeks earlier. On the bright side, I did manage to beat Ric, as well as another runner, Ketty Smith. My 3rd place finish actually made into The Washington Post on July 4th, which was pretty cool.

After the race, we celebrated Jon Palks 60th birthday with a very good birthday cake. Ric and I also had a nice chat. Karsten Brown set the course record for the 10K course with a time of 36:06 ( I succeeded in only allowing him to pass me once!) Suzanna Sullivan ran a blistering 6K to win the inaugural event in a time of 24:15. Jon and Peter Blank trailed her by 4 and 5 minutes respectively. So she was moving!

All in all, it was a great way to start the holiday weekend. We decided to do it all again for Columbus Day.

No comments: