My photo
Alexandria, Virginia, United States

Monday, July 6, 2009

Hmm...what do I say about this race?

July 4, 2009

I look forward to July 4 every year. Not just because of the foreworks but also because of the annual DCRRC Age handicapped 4 Miler. It's a neat little gimmick race starting and finishing in Carderock. Old men and women get to start first. Then younger men and women start later based pre established times based on their age and sex. Theoretically, if everyone was at exactly the same level of fitness we would all finish at the same time. While the format almost assures me that I will finish at the back of the pack, its OK as I enjoy being ahead of the young punks early :) It also allows me to tag different people that leave before me as targets that I can strive to catch.

I thought I could probably catch Ric based on times the day before at the Tidal Basin, even though he was leaving 2 minutes before me. Sharyn Gordon, Cristina Caravoulias, Joe Broderick and Walt Washburn were also possible but unlikely.

Even though I arrived more than 40 minutes before my start time, I failed to have my watch ready when I started. As a result, I missed the first minute or so of the race on my heart monitor.By the time it came on, my heart rate was already 118. This lapse was important as the race volunteers had already shut down the clock when I came in, so we had to estimate my finish time. Based on the information I did have from my watch I estimated that it took me about 56:15 to complete the course. I managed to catch Ric with about 1/2 mile to go and held him off.

So why so slow? In a clear case of poor planning, I had intestinal issues almost immediately after the race started. I really struggled with cramps and I couldnt wait to finish. I had to walk a great deal but not because I was tired. My average heart rate was only 125....a clear sign that something was wrong. My max heart rate was only 140. I can only wait until next year to try to do better.

No comments: