My photo
Alexandria, Virginia, United States

Monday, July 6, 2009

What a waste

June 20, 2009

I decided to run the Losing to Live 5K today. I had several races to choose from but decided on this one as I enjoyed it when I ran before and it was the most economical of the day's races. Rain was forecasted and the weathermen got it right this time. It started raining pretty hard as we lined up for the start and really started to come down hard only about 1/4 mile into the race.

Here's why the race was a waste....the course was not clearly marked. Nor were there enough marshals on the course to keep people on the correct course. As a result, the leaders took a wrong turn and were back at the finish in about 2 1/2 miles. Slower runners, like myself, ended up taking an even shorter route home. My watch tells me that I completed about 1.55 miles. I felt great for the first 1/2 mile but then I had some stomach issues and had to walk most of the rest of the race. As a result, my average heart rate was only 130; though I did manage a max of 159. And I did burn about 200 calories so I guess it wasn't all bad. Plus, I have a race later today so I guess this helped me save some strength for that race.

No comments: